The challenges to mobile performance:
- Mobile users have higher performance expectations than desktop users
- Connection speeds vary across and within geographic locations
- Mobile failures are typically due to performance issues, not functional errors
- Performance is the most important differentiator when it comes to mobile app adoption, use and abandonment rates
- Mobile bandwidth is limited
- Performance of a mobile app is greatly dependent on the network
Why mobile testing matters:
Responsive design takes care of your layout and interface, but performance testing makes sure your app can handle the expected, as well as unexpected, spikes in traffic without failing.
A small delay in load-time might seem like a minor issue, but in reality even a small change in latency – from 2ms (broadband) to 400ms (3G network) – can cause a page load time to go from 1 second to 30 seconds.
Worse yet, if your mobile app fails, 48% of users are less likely to ever use your app again, 34% of users will just switch to a competitor’s app, and 31% of users will tell friends about their poor experience (Equation Research, 2012).
With Load Impact, you can quickly create a load test which simulates different mobile network and client conditions – such as 3G, 4G, Edge and DSL as well as iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, Blackberry and IE mobile.
Whether it’s an iPhone user running a mobile web browser and accessing a standard website, or an Android tablet user navigating a mobile app – we will generate the same kind of traffic for your servers to handle as real users would.
We help you with all of the following:
- Ensure the response times experienced by your mobile users are acceptable and within the boundaries of Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Establish a long-term baseline for your mobile performance on which to validate the impact (good and bad) of infrastructure changes over time
- Determine your maximum capacity in order to understand which components fail first, in what order and what the nature of that failure is
- Determine how sensitive your application is to network quality
- Locate and fix performance bottlenecks in your backend by monitoring servers during testing
How Load Impact’s mobile testing works:
Ready to test your mobile performance?